Conference videos available soon by year and topic!
Our focus for 2014: The Artist in Community.
Friday and Saturday featured creative workshops, round table discussions, practical training for ministering through the arts, and thought-provoking teachings on being an artist of faith in community.
On Sunday morning we experienced the arts thoughtfully integrated into the host church services during worship and the message. Sunday afternoon guests were invited to enjoy fellowship, art, and prayer at VineArts Open Studio until 6pm. All three days featured a wealth of encouragement for artists, pastors, and art leaders through scripture, worship, times of prayer, inspiration, artistic exploration, and community in practice.Attendees were invited to share their personal stories with us at the conference; how can creatives express our love for God and people?
Friday, July 25
8:00-8:45 a.m. Registration at Vineyard Boise Church
9:00 a.m. Main Session 1–Jessie Nilo, J. Scott McElroy–The Artist in Community/The Flourishing of the Arts in the Church
10:50 a.m. Main Session 2–Dr. Colin Harbinson–Dealing with Disappointment: Discovering an Eternal Perspective on our Gifts and Calling
12:00-1:00 Lunch break. Delicious lunch provided onsite for $4 (cash or check).
1:00 p.m. Main Session 3–Celia Brie Tshope, Andrew Nemr, Bryn Gillette– The 4 Seeds of Kingdom Community/What is Love/Solo tap performance/”Beyond the Ruins” Presentation
2:15 – 5:30 Free Create Time. Pray and ask God where He wants you. Options include:
- 2:30 – 5:30 Open Studio creative time inside VineArts Studio (Drop in anytime. Some art materials are provided, with some available for purchase.)
- 2:15 – 2:45 Guided tour of the art around Vineyard Boise Church
- 2:30 – 4:00 Prayer and individual ministry in the prayer room (Drop in anytime)
- 3:30 – 5:30 “Hearing God through Art Journaling”: A guided journaling devotional activity, led by Valerie Sjodin. Please arrive at 3:30. Bring your journal, Bible, a pen, and colored pencils or other media of choice. We have plain paper for those who don’t have journals. Moleskine journals are available for purchase from the church book store.
- 3:00 – 5:30 Art Ministry Panel Discussion–Round table discussion for arts ministry leaders to honestly address the joys and the heartaches of leading artists in community. Open for all to contribute to the discussion. Moderated by Jessie Nilo. Short break at 4:15.
- Or just take some free time.
5:30-7:30 p.m. Dinner: Meet at 5:30 in sanctuary to arrange rides with each other. Dinner on your own; carpool.
7:30 p.m. Main Session 4: Manuel Luz and Andrew Nemr– Collaboration in Tap and Piano (Improv)
9:00 p.m. Open mic show and share (Sign up for a slot when you arrive for Check-In Friday morning). LIMIT: 10 signups. Conference attendees are invited to share their artwork or ministry. Sign up on arrival to give 4 minute presentations. Slides are optional; if you have any images to show, please upload your slides/files ahead of time into this Shared Google Folder (Powerpoint files or numbered/ordered JPGs placed within a folder that you name with your first and last name; or you can bring your own flash drive with a Powerpoint presentation or numbered JPGs. Keynote files must be converted to Powerpoint or exported as JPGs.)
Saturday, July 26
9:00 a.m. Main Session 5: Dave Blakeslee– Designed for Inspiration
10:30 a.m. Main Session 6: Manuel Luz, J. Scott McElroy– Jazz Fusion: Rules of Engagement for Artist Communities/The Healer in Community
12:00-1:15 Lunch break. Delicious lunch provided onsite for $4 (cash or check).
1:30 – 5:30 Workshops/Free time. Pray and ask God where He wants you. Options include:
- 1:15 – 3:15 Hearing God’s Voice and Collaborating to Make Prophetic Art — J. Scott McElroy
- 1:15 – 3:15 Creativity Workshop: Capturing Inspiration — Travis & Kathy Nelson
- 1:15 – 3:15 Music Workshop: Drum Circle – Responding as Creatives — Manuel Luz (Bring your favorite drum or percussion instrument if you have one; instruments will be provided in class)
- 3:30 – 5:15 Roundtable Discussion: Insights from a Life-Journey in the Arts & Faith — Dr. Colin Harbinson
- 3:30 – 5:15 Drawing & Communication Workshop: The Arts in Community — Dean Estes & Jessie Nilo
- 3:30 – 5:15 Theatre Workshop: The Bible in 3-D – Using Theatre to Bring Scripture to Life — Brie Tschoepe
- Or just take some free time.
5:15 – 7:00 p.m. Dinner: Before leaving your workshop, arrange rides with each other. Dinner on your own or carpool.
7:00 p.m. Main Session 7 opening with Jason Leith and Bryn Gillette, followed by a Night of Worship: Extended evening of responding to God through music, dance, visual arts, and communion with creative art stations and writing tables.
Sunday, July 27
9:00 & 11:00 a.m. Church Service (choose one service to attend) Church service incorporating music, visual arts, and scripture readings. Brie Tschoepe will deliver our scripture reading; Dave Blakeslee will speak a message of Good News while creating pottery onstage.
12:30 Benediction in VineArts Studio.
1:00 Lunch on your own.
2:00 to 6:00 The VineArts Studio will host Open Studio, fellowship, individual advising, and prayer ministry all afternoon. Take this opportunity to cement the relationships you’ve made over the past three days.
3:00 – Also if you’re considering joining the international online art ministry school that Jessie Nilo will be piloting within the next year, you’re welcome to join her Sunday afternoon in Auditorium 2 for a casual conference debrief and fine arts ministry school brainstorming session.
Conference end time: 6:00 p.m.